Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Week 22: Chestnuts roasted on an open fire are pretty good

Hola hola hola!

We decorated for CHRISTMAS! No, we're not even halfway through November, but we're wearing sweaters now, so I say it's Christmastime. Our little tree is the cutest thing you ever did see. I love Christmas so much. 42 days and counting!!!
This week I would say the biggest lesson I've learned is about GRATITUDE. We were meeting with two of our investigators and invited one of them to read a verse in the scriptures. She told us she couldn't do it, but we found it in her language so she would be able to. But she still couldn't do it. She shook her head. "No colegio." "No school." She's not some crazy grandma lady who's 92 and half-blind, half-deaf. She's a normal woman who's probably about 50 and just never learned how to read. Later, we were meeting with another family. The husband has been out of work for 5 months as of this week. I've been on a mission for 5 months as of this week. 5 months is a long time! His wife is sick, and can barely talk. She can barely sleep because she can't breathe. And because of his wife's problems, this man is so stressed that he can't even eat. After hearing these people's stories, I'm trying to be more grateful. No matter how tired I am, or no matter how many people don't want to talk to us, at least I can read. I can eat. I can sleep. I can breathe. We have GOT to be more grateful.

We went over to Andrea's house to help her clean a couple of times this week. She still hasn't found the Spanish Book of Mormon that we gave her, BUT we found a Book of Mormon in Hungarian (her language) and gave it to her. She was so excited to get something in Hungarian, and it was so cute. We also finally got to meet her husband and her two cute kids. They ALMOST came to church yesterday. Normally we don't even have hope that anyone will come to church, so this is a step forward. At least someone ALMOST came. We're hoping they'll ACTUALLY come this coming Sunday, or the next Sunday for the primary program (when the kids from the ward sing songs and say little things). They're such a cute family and their piso is almost done, so we're excited to keep teaching them.

We've met several times with Jonathan and Lelica. They're so cute too. We gave their son (who's 8) one of those illustrated Book of Mormon picture books and he was so excited to read it. When we visited them last night, he was already several pages in. We're hoping that they will come to church this Sunday. They didn't come this past Sunday. We have to go slowly so that Jonathan can translate for Lelica, but they're happy to have us come over and teach them any day.

Update on the roasted chestnuts: I did finally try them. They weren't what I expected, but they were pretty good. Probably 4 out of 5 stars. Would definitely recommend!
In other food news, I made the peanut butter cookies with the chocolate in the middle again. I hadn't made them yet this transfer, and Hermana Encarnación really liked them, so you could say I'm finally contributing to the gourmet cooking here in Torremolinos.

My goal is to finish the Book of Mormon again by the end of the year, which means I've been reading a LOT. Got 2 minutes while Hermana Encarnación hangs up her laundry? Read the Book of Mormon. Waiting for something in the microwave? Read the Book of Mormon. Lots of reading. It's awesome! I was reading in 2 Nephi 33:10 and really liked this verse, which is written by one of the prophets in the Book of Mormon named Nephi. It basically explains the purpose of the Book of Mormon:

"10 And now,... all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words (these words= the Book of Mormon) and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good."

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to help you believe in Christ, and teach you to do good. Anyone who believes in Christ and reads this book will know that it is true. It's called "Another Testament of Jesus Christ" for a reason-- I can honestly say that, although my testimony of the Book of Mormon grows as I read it, what's growing the most is my testimony of the Savior. I've been putting a little black dot in the margin next to every time Christ or Heavenly Father is mentioned, and there are a LOT of dots in this book. It's a book about Jesus Christ and anyone and everyone who reads it will come closer to the Savior. So if you haven't read it, or you aren't reading it every day, READ IT! It's the best!

Stay warm, decorate for Christmas, drink lots of water, and read the Book of Mormon!

Love, Hermana Walker
Yummy food made by my companion
Zone Conference
Waiting at the bus stop
Christmas lights strung across the street
The Christmas wreath on our door

No comments:

Post a Comment